Jun 26, 2009

Nonsmoking, Please


There's no question I'm behind in my blog posts, I have about 6 planned, but I figured I'll just have to break out of chronological order to get any written. Being a parent is awesome, but makes the blog suffer (baby>blog).

So yesterday was Morgan's one week birthday, and I'm already regretting his middle name. Since he's been born, he's had to have his lungs pumped, been on oxygen, had low blood sugar and so he needed an IV, had jaundice and so had to be under the uv lights. And yesterday, we had his first fire.

So I came home yesterday for lunch to my beautiful wife, my adorable son and my lovely mother who's staying with us, helping out with the baby and helping us maintain our sanity. When I came in I smelled a slight odor of smoke, but assumed it was from the construction outside. After a few minutes my mom and Tracie both commented on the smell and haze, as well as a faint beeping. We started to worry that a neighbor's fire alarm was going off. I checked with our next door neighbors and those below them, they could smell the smoke but it wasn't coming from either of their apartments. It smelled like something burning in the oven. The couple in the apartment below us weren't home, but the smell and sound of beeping were loudest when holding my ear up to their door. A little concerned, I called the landlord to tell them we all smelled smoke, they said they'd come check it out. Well, the smell started getting worse, so I called the fire department. They didn't answer the phone. So much for not freaking out. For the first time in my life, I called 911. Even though I wasn't panicky, calling 911 made my heart race, and I gave them our information and the suspected fire. I was impressed with how quick they came here, a cop first to verify the report, and then two fire trucks and 2 ambulances. Our neighbors arrived home and opened the door, allowing smoke to flood out their door. One of them ran in, everyone shouted at him to come out. We waited outside while the firemen went in, some brandishing axes (I don't know why, the door was open.) Morgan slept through pretty much the whole thing. The culprit turned out to be a very blackened pot of chicken, there was no real fire, just an awful lot of smoke that we're still trying to get rid of the smell. Thank goodness everyone was ok and there was no permanent damage. How was YOUR Thursday?

5 comments:

HailerStar said...

Crumpled newspaper actually absorbs smoke odors. So do bowls of vinegar if you leave them out. Good luck with getting rid of the smoke smell. Did your neighbors like leave the chicken on the stove or something? *who leaves stuff on the stove when they go out? Isn't that a duh moment?*
Glad you all are alright. Sorry Morgan's gone through so much in his first week. *Being on oxygen isn't so bad but I imagine having your lungs suctioned is painful*

Laurie said...

Holy Cow! That is scary. Don't you think it is weird that the fire department didn't answer? I like the "baby>blog" comment. It is true.

Heather said...

That's alot for Morgan to be dealing with in one week!

Wiping down ALL the walls and doors with FABREEZE Mr Clean will also help with smoke smells and deordorizes. Wash stuff like the couch pillows etc whatever fabric possible. Smoke smells are hard to get out of fabric. The good news is that you all are moving to a condo soon, is that still the plan?

Amanda said...

Wow. that was crazy... your neighbors LEFT the appartment with the oven on??? smart.

I LOVE morgan's middle name... by the way... so does justin.

Sorry he's been having a few issues... thats not fun on anyone.

:)

Janadt.Huggins said...

I love the middle name. It will make his life more interesting. He has a cool and loving set of parents to keep him out of any real danger.