Apr 26, 2012

Thoughts on turning Thirty


Some of you may know I turned 30 last week. I've gotten so used to birthdays over the past 3 decades I assumed it would turn out to be no different. But then it happened. I felt like a grown up. Not older, per se, but more mature. Fortunately since it happened I've completely recovered and am back to my old/young self again.

I considered ruminating on where or who I thought I'd be at age 30 compared to reality, but I fear that would depress you and I too much, so I'll focus on the positive. At age 30, I am a husband to the most wonderful and amazing woman I have ever met. I am a father to the most energetic and joyful son I've ever seen. I am a cancer survivor. I am a student. Whatever I wanted to be is behind me now, in the words of Popeye, I am what I am.

In a way it's relieving. For so long I kept planning who I'd be, how famous or wealthy or important I'd be that in some ways it kept me from living, at least living to the fullest. Now I can stop focusing on who I might become and simply focus on who I am and what I am doing NOW.

I'll end with a cheesy quote (my favorite kind) that, while cheesy, is valid: "We don't stop laughing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop laughing." May I never grow old, just mature, and always find humor in everything and anything life throws at me.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Austin,

Sorry for reaching out in a comment but couldn't find your contact info anywhere.

I run a design shop and I'm interested in licensing a piece of art you designed from about a year ago.

If you get this, shoot me an email at asriel2@gmail.com.

Thanks - hope to hear from you!

Austin said...

Hi Anonymous,

I'd be happy to, but I need a bit more information from you like what art work you're interested in, what your name is (first is fine) and what the design shop is, to make sure you're not spam. :)

Austin

David Haas said...

Hi,
I have a quick question about your blog, do you think you could email me?
David

Austin said...

Hi David,

I'd be happy to but I need to know what the email is.

Heather Mae the DIY Gal said...

LOL! Well, no one said Happy Birthday here yet, so I get to be the first. Well, you might want to be 30 now for the rest of your life. I hitting 38, (I mean 30, and staying there forever) haha.