Oct 13, 2008

Book Snobs Anonymous

Even though B.S.A. is already taken. (Boy Scouts of America or something)

Tracie and I have joined a book club. (!) We had our first meeting Friday night, and it looks to be a good one. There are eight of us, (4 couples) and although we only know 2 other members well, met 2 others a few months ago and met the third couple on Friday, I can safely say I think it's going to be a fun experience. We all seem to mesh well, and though we have different opinions (which is good. I don't want a group of 8 Austins, however sexy that would be, it wouldn't promote very interesting discussion) we all seem polite and respectful, so we should have fun. We each chose a book for a month, so we'll do this for 8 months, then see what happens from there. For our first book, we're going to read Franz Kafka's Metamorphosis. I'll let you know how I like it once I read it, and I'll let the book group know too. Try and stop me.

I don't remember all the books on the list, but I remember mine and Tracie's choices:
A Catcher in the Rye (my choice, I've always wanted to read it, but I never have. I rented it once at the library but never opened it.)
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? (Tracie's choice. What the movie "Blade Runner" is based on.)

We'll let you know how it goes once we do more than meet and pull numbers out of a hat. I'm excited and eager to get it going.

Have you ever been in a book club?

3 comments:

lynette said...

Ammon and I were in a book club back in our Provo days. We started it with another couple and after a few months found ourselves (and the other original founding couple) uninvited. Rude, but whatever!

Austin said...

that's provo for you!

what a bunch of dorks, sorry you got kicked out of your own club, but who wants to hang with dopes like that anyway! :)

Heather Mae the DIY Gal said...

Yes, I am currently a member of a book club: Rita Ranch Ward book club for RS.

I love books and book clubs, and enjoying reading posts about the various books you have read