Oct 24, 2008

Sunflower

Today my department is having a potluck. I'm always in favor of potlucks, especially when I just have to bring cups and I can have pizza, cookies, and other homemade treats.

Well, I missed the cup boat, someone else beat me to it, so I decided on the next best thing: salad. Since our fridge was (presumably) bursting with salad fixins like lettuce, tomatoes and onions, I assumed I'd be all set without having to go to the store.

Little did I know that food, when left in the refrigerator, goes bad. We had nothing. Not wanting to be late, I decided to stop at Sunflower Farmer's Market on my way to work, as it's the new, closest grocery store to our apartment, and I really liked it.

When I got there, they didn't have any bags of salad or premade salads or anything. I asked one of the employees there, and she said "we don't have one, but we can make you one!" I assumed they'd charge me for the service, but I watched in awe as she went through the produce, got me some tomatoes, lettuce, onions, cucumbers and green peppers according to my specifications, and came back with a beautifully prepared salad. I asked if I could tip her, she said no, but you can write a comment in our comment box, which I did and gave her a glowing review. Now that's service! The best part? A salad, prepared on the spot with fresh ingredients, for about 10 people, would cost, what do you think, $8? $10? $15? If you think that's too expensive, compare it to other grocery stores. This cost me $3.25 !

I always swore I wouldn't be someone to brag about how cheaply I got something, but I don't care. It was DELICIOUS! And only THREE bucks! (and two bits) Sunflower, located on the corner of University Parkway and State Street in Orem, has all kinds of great deals. In the past, I've gotten a whole cantelope for $.25 cents, apples for 60 cents a pound, right now grapefruit are 10 for $1 dollar. Go there now! Not only are the sales ridiculously cheap, the produce is just darn GOOD.

I'll be shopping there as long as I have taste buds, and probably for awhile after.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Dang I think I will have to visit this place. Nice!

Ross & Amanda Goodman- but mostly Amanda :) said...

Are you kidding me? Customer service is not dead!! I will definitely be checking this place out!

Laurie said...

That sounds awesome! HEB is my favorite down here. I always brag about it.

JanB said...

Man, we were just out there, and we forgot all about going there. We were going to get avacoados!
Guess we'll get there on Monday.

Charlo said...

ah. I'm craving fruit right now, and you have to bring up a store located 12 hours away.

I want my grapefruit.

Heather Mae the DIY Gal said...

I also love our local Sunflower market. Yes, you do find awesome deals for very fresh food.

That is great! 3 bucks and 2 bits is awesome for an healthy salad.

What was the feedback at your potluck on your salad?

Amanda said...

Dude that is AMAZING! we need a Sunflower in Salt Lake! :) i LOVE good deals!

BrItTneEanN said...

I really like the store. However I thought since it was so cheap I could do my whole grocery shopping there. Lol. Let's just say that I won't do that again.

Glad I could introduce you to the place by mentioning it to tracie ;)

BrItTneEanN said...

I really like the store. However I thought since it was so cheap I could do my whole grocery shopping there. Lol. Let's just say that I won't do that again.

Glad I could introduce you to the place by mentioning it to tracie ;)

Jasmine said...

Holy crap!! I wish I had a grocery store like that near me! That's amazing! And, just for kicks and giggles, one more exclamation point!