Oct 21, 2008

Thriving Ivory

About a month ago, Parker on 101.9 The End, (the only truly good radio station in Utah, in my humble opinion) played the new CD from some band from California called, you guessed it, Thriving Ivory. Tracie was smitten. I had a crush. They were good. Really good.

We weren't the only ones who thought so.

Utah was both aglow and abuzz with the band. Then something wonderful happened. Rumors and myths say someone went to Thriving Ivory's MySpace page and told them "Hey, they played your album in Utah, and people really like it. It's both aglow and abuzz." Or something. They talked to Parker and somehow a concert was arranged for them to play in Salt Lake City. What could be better than that? Tickets were only $5 bucks. Better than that? When you bought their tickets, you got a CD for $5 also.

I genuinely liked them, Tracie loved them, so I surprised her with the tickets and CD the day the tickets went on sale. Because how often do you get a chance to see (and hear) what could very well be the next REALLY big thing for $5?

Saturday night we drove up to Salt Lake, and saw them. And... wow.

They were at least 10 times better live. It was fantastic. As Tracie said, one of the best things about them is their layers of music. They are all very talented, and the guitarist probably the most. Their music is influenced by many great bands and sources, such as Dave Matthews Band and Bob Dylan, U2, Our Lady Peace, Coldplay, Counting Crows, Keane, and others. It came together in a beautiful whole, from their single "Angels on the Moon" (which they played TWICE, since they were making a video, so cool) to all their tracks on their album, it was, as Parker said, "Really, really good music."

I'd post some of their songs for you to hear, but I don't know how to do that. But check them out. You'll be glad you did. I promise.

Now I'm going to go listen to them some more.

5 comments:

Heidi @ Honeybear Lane said...

Ah, the good ol' days when I worked at 101.9 and got to get the cd's of up and coming bands...ever heard of a little band called The Fray? Or how about Feist? James Blunt? Yes, I had their cds long before anyone cared. And as much as 101.9 kinda screwed me outta my job, I kept listening to them. I miss that morning show and I miss that Mister West (although he's been gone for awhile.)

I'll have to check this band out.

Austin said...

I have heard of those bands! James Blunt is the only one I like, and I like him in spite of his single "You're Beautiful." Can you say overplayed?

But the rest of his album is surprisingly good.

Amanda said...

I love hearing about new bands... what a deal you two got!! i'll have to check them out! rock on!

Laurie said...

Cant wait to give it a listen!

Charlo said...

so far I don't hate them, but don't quite have the crush you do.

but for 5 bucks I would have gone with you, and brought brett too.