Aug 24, 2010

The Long Wait Before the Ride

On Saturday we were treated to a free trip to Lagoon! My uncle Craig's work had free tickets and they gave them to us! We went with my cousin Carissa and cousin-in-law Charlotte, and it was a lot of fun.

We tried getting someone to watch Morgan. It was my Mom's last day in Utah and we tried guilting her into spending time with her grandson one last time, but she had made plans to be with her parents. We tried asking Tracie's parents to do it, but they had some lame excuse about having made plans since they don't just sit around waiting to babysit our son for free every weekend or something like that.

In our defense, we actually didn't have much time to make babysitting arrangements since we weren't officially invited until the night before. So, that's like the first time ever that asked people to help us at the very last minute and it WASN'T because of procrastination.

So, we went. Taking turns one of us watching Morgan while another of us went on the rides with Carissa and Charlotte. It was a lot of fun, Morgan was pretty well behaved for a poor little guy strapped in a car seat and then stroller all day long. My only complaint was after waiting in a long line, I was told I couldn't ride in a particular ride because of the color of my skin. No, it was because I couldn't bend my leg far enough. Bah. But, one complaint wedged into a day of free rides and food isn't enough to ruin our fun day, thanks again Uncle Craig's family for letting us go!

Now I'm waiting for another ride. I start my fall semester tomorrow. It has been a long wait, I've been back at school for 3 years and don't even have an associate's degree, because of having to be in school part time. It's not fun being almost 30 in classes with 18 and 19 year olds, but I suppose it could be worse. I am usually the smartest person in the class, though it's depressing when I'm being taught by faculty my own age. At least they're not younger. Yet. I used to want to be a professor until I realized I would be in school FOREVER, then I didn't want it as much. Anyway, enough self pity for now (more to come later!) I think I already said what classes I'm taking, but just in case you're dying to know what they are, calm down, I'll tell you.

Mondays and Wednesdays will be the big killers, I have Drawing the Human Face, one of the classes I've been most excited about, even though I'm sure I'll cry into my drawings when I see what the other students can do. (Being the oldest and smartest doesn't make you the most talented). Then I have Ethics and Values, from what I've heard it's most students least favorite class, but my favorite teacher possibly ever is teaching it, so I'm hoping for the best. Then in the evening I have Digital Imaging, which translated to Photoshop. I would be more excited about it, except for the fact that every teacher I've had says you will not need Photoshop in the real world. InDesign and Illustrator are king. Or queen, if you prefer. But, it's a required class, and I suppose extra Photoshop knowledge is at least cool, if nothing else. Tuesdays and Thursdays are blissfully class free, though I'm sure they'll be rich with homework. Friday I only have Ethics and Values (or by the end of the week, possibly just Ethics) then Saturday is my Finance class. I don't want to take it but I need to, not the least because my dear wife is getting sick of taking care of ALL our finances.

We finished writing our Indiana Jones Parody for Tracie's brother Troy! It was quite a wait for Troy and I apologize profusely (obtusely) for the delay. I have lots of excuses ranging from working full time to having school full time to having a delightful but demanding little boy and a houseguest and a new expansion for World of Warcraft to anticipate and streaming Netflix to enjoy, but I will just say I'm very sorry it took us so long, but I hope the end result is worth the wait.

If you'd like, you all can go to GlassofRandom and read it. Go ahead!
I won't judge you.
If you read it, you'll get it.

4 comments:

Jacob I. McMillan said...

I liked Ethics and Values, but maybe it just appeals to the side of me that enjoys being argumentative for its own sake. Who's your favorite teacher possibly ever that's teaching it?

Austin said...

Lawrence (Larry) Harper. I took 2 writing classes from him in the past and loved every minute.

Mark Beckstrom said...

Good luck in school - possibly your last semester as a sophomore.

Ammon said...

Enjoy the ride, that's an important part. If the ride makes you sick, then you're probably in the wrong line.