Aug 13, 2010

The Opposite of Writer's Block


My semester is over! I'm currently at work and feeling a little lost as to what to do. Normally I'd be reading my textbook or writing the next assignment, but now I don't have to do either!

I finished my final project, even though it meant I stayed up last night later than Tracie. I can't remember the last time that happened. Or if it has EVER happened.

I turned in a revised copy of "The Journey of a Dream," one of my favorite things I've ever written, as well as the (most likely) final draft of a very short one act play or two scenes called "Thirsty" that I wrote for class. I'll be posting that on Glass of Random for those of you masochistic enough to read it.

I learned a lot from that class, most of all that I'm the best writer in that class and have an over-inflated opinion of myself again. No, seriously, it was a very talented class, I was just one of many excellent writers at UVU. (And you thought "excellent" and "UVU" were mutually exclusive. How dare you.) We never really went over revision, we went over rewriting, but I guess I learned there's not really a technique to it, you just have to do it. Revising, for those of you who don't know because I didn't bother to tell you, is the biggest problem I have with writing. Part of it is due to having ADS (it's like ADD or ADHD, but the S is for Sexy) the other part is what's that over there?!

Now that the class is over, this is the first time since the class began that I didn't bring my notebook or textbook in to work. And I feel lost. Like someone who just retired and now has all this time they don't know what to do with. That's right. That's how I wrote that.

New classes start in 2 weeks, so it won't be long that I'll have all this extra time, in fact soon I'll have even less as I am signed up for Ethics and Values which I'm actually looking forward to because I'm taking it from my favorite college professor ever. Next is Digital Imaging, which is a fancy way of saying Photoshop. Also looking forward to, less because I like Photoshop, more because I want to learn more about CS 5. I'm taking Personal Finance again, provided I don't break my hip this time I'll finish it. Finally rounding it out with Drawing the Human Face. I've looked forward to this class for a long time, as I think the human face is a lot of fun to draw, as well as one of the most important things to draw. I just hope we have a model or several. Not that we artists are unattractive, but I don't like having to pair off when drawing portraits. Not only do we always then draw someone looking down, but I seem to always be stuck having partners who can only draw a bald guy with no chin and old glasses. It's like they always pair me up with the blind person, you know?

I'm starting to read "Snow Crash" on Ammon's recommendation, and liking it so far, but I'm only about 30 pages into it. Now that I don't have writing homework or reading to do, I should be able to finish it before it's due back at the library or I have to go back to school.

Check out Glass of Random if you want to read "Thirsty." I'm posting it now.
And if you can't, that's because you weren't invited, silly. Let me know if you want an invite and you'll get one. Heck, you'll get two, you lucky dog.

Oh, one other thing I'll be posting is the Self-Assessment we had to do for Creative Writing. But if you go to Glass of Random, you'll see that.

...or just look up.

5 comments:

Mark Beckstrom said...

you could always read, say, The Book of Mormon (or take that into work) - spoken like a Dad.

Glad your semester is over. Let me know when we can start working on our screen plays.

Say hey to Mom and the Valantine clan.

Jacob I. McMillan said...

You should submit your stuff to one of UVU's literary magazines. Then we can both be the proud owner of a rejection letter from Touchstones.

JanB said...

I love your writing, Austin. Even when you write about the mundane, you are still so entertaining!

Charlo said...

I can get 2, because I am a lucky dog, but can polo get one, because he is a dog.

Austin said...

Dad- Thanks for the advice. I've been searching for an excuse not to and can't think of one so I guess I will.

We'll work on our screen plays someday, I don't know when, as this week we're writing a play for Tracie's brother. Mom and everyone say hi, Mom says she misses you most of all.

Jake- I did submit to UVU's literary mags. Touchstones rejected me, Warp & Weave accepted everything I submitted to them (2 things). I remember being indignant at Touchstones since I felt I was slumming it, submitting my masterpieces to a little college journal, then got rejected. How DARE they? But, I learned humility from that, and it took me months to get prideful again.

Jan- Thanks so much, that means a lot. And nothing is mundane if you write it so well, am I right? ;)

Charlo- What's Polo's email, I'll send him an invite. You're already invited on it, aren't you?