Sep 30, 2010

So Long, September

You were a very nice September, but truth be told I have had better. I'm sorry, but you said you wanted me to be honest with you. You knew what this was. For the first time in my life I've taken photos that I think are halfway decent (though tools in Photoshop and Adobe Bridge help considerably), I've expanded my mind and solidified my Ethical beliefs, I finished reading "Snow Crash" like I said I would (yesterday), I don't think I'll ever be successful as an Illustrator but that doesn't diminish my love for drawing in any way, and I still don't like the class Personal Finance, but I like the teacher so that's at least something.

We went to the zoo, had a lot of friends and family over, not as much as I'd like, but more than usual. I submitted some writing to the school literary (cough) magazines and have started keeping track of 3 stocks, all my expenditures in a little black book, and will hopefully never have to read "The Richest Man In Babylon" again. I gained a new literary crush, it's been 3 years this month that I started this wacky blog, And something like 6 years this month since I first met Tracie. I rekindled correspondence with a dear friend and am still staying on top of all my homework. Housework, that's a different story. That's a goal for October.

Speaking of the tenth month of the tenth year of this millennium, let's get to October goals. First, I apologize to anyone if this is tedious or annoying, as I realize it's very journalistic, but it's good for me to look back on the past month and look forward on the next. So, here goes.

I've been reading scriptures every day for the past 2 weeks or so, so the goal would be to continue.
I've been slacking a bit again on my church attendance, so the goal is to stop slacking and go every week again.
I've finally finished Snow Crash, the next goal is to read another book. (In the time it takes Tracie to read seven).
I've started meditating again and am already feeling more peace and center in life. Goal=Keep it up.
My exercise routine has suffered but I blame Morgan. My goal for October is to stop blaming Morgan and start blaming Austin, then start working out again in 2011. (the most realistic goal on this list. It will be the most realistic goal ever if I include that I stop exercising shortly after January 2.)
Big goal I want to focus on in October is keeping the house clean. Tracie and Morgan can only do so much, and Morgan is working double time in his contribution of messing the house up. He's a prodigy. My goal is to keep the house clean and unembarrassing to visitors and unpainful when walking around. Wish me luck on that one.
Keep up on homework, finish the 2 assignments I have for 3D Design and step up on my sketchbook for my Illustration class. I need to be at 100 pages of drawings by the end of October, and I'm at page 42 or so now. Not terribly behind, but still behind.

I know these are pretty much the same goals I always have, but they're all important to me, and if I don't write them down, I won't ever get them done. I appreciate your listening, hope you had a great September and if not are glad that it's over! Bring on the October! (btw, anyone else find it strange that "oct-" is a prefix for "eight" but it's the "tenth" month of the "year?"

6 comments:

Mark Beckstrom said...

Was Octavius the eighth Caesar or the tenth Casear

and good luck with your goals

and I still think you should talk to my cousin Kevin Beckstrom who is actually a professional illustrator
-

HayLee said...

that is a good observation that I have never thought of. Oct, huh?

Way to make monthly goals. That is something I should do. It's true, if you write them down you are more likely to succeed.

Most of my friends clean the house once they put the kid down for bed at night. It may be painful in the beginning, but once you get caught up, it should just be some tidding up just before bed!

Good luck!

Austin said...

Dad-Octavius/Caesar Augustus was the first of the Julio-Claudian Dynasty: the Caesars.

I probably will talk to Kevin once I get a little further in my schooling. Thanks. :)

HayLee- Thanks, I thought it was weird too. Hopefully some of these goals will stick, so far so good.

And no offense, but your friends don't have Morgan as a son. No matter when I clean, the tasmanian devil that is my little boy makes a new mess immediately after. I leave home clean, I come home to a mess. He's lucky he's so darn cute, but at least now I have something else other than myself to blame my home's unkemptness on.

Ammon said...

Good luck with the goals. That said, I've found it easiest and most efficient if I only work on one life-changing goal at a time and then move onto the next. For example, if I try to read my scriptures every day AND work out every day AND, make your bed every day when aren't doing any of them regularly now then you will fail spectacularly.

On the other hand, if you go one by one, working on one goal at a time, you have a much greater chance of succeeding.

Have you decided on a book yet?

Austin said...

Ammon- That's a great idea, thanks. I AM currently reading a chapter at a time in the BoM and am meditating semi-regularly. The big ones that aren't goals so much as imperatives are cleaning and exercising. But, I'll try to focus on cleaning solely, and make sure I do a lot of walking and lifting while I'm doing so and call that exercise until our house is spic and span or at least spic and then graduate on to exercising for real again.

And I haven't decided on what fiction to read next, I put "The Anthem" on hold at the library and asked our friends in our old book club if they want to start up again, but in the meantime I've started reading "Python for Dummies."

Heather Mae the DIY Gal said...

I am sosososososo very glad Sept is finally over. We got our first below 80 degrees today!! It was 73 and I am in HEAVEN!!