May 8, 2008

My Self Portrait

For my 2D Design class, I had to make a Self-Portrait collage, using 3 tactile textures (things you can touch) and 3 visual textures. I hate collages, but this one turned out as well as possible for my lack of talent in collage. For tactile, I used orange peels of an orange I ate (a good thing for a self portrait. After all, you are what you eat), a pen, as I love to draw and write, and a broken cd because I love music and art. I etched over the surface it homage to David Smith's Cubi series. The visual textures comes from a copy of a doodle I did on my mission (I think it was mission, it was sometime in the last 5 years or so) I also included some poetry of mine, and a flame-like profile of myself. The profile is echoed in the line in the middle, even in the contours of the sandwich, again, you are what you eat. There's a block of yellow at the top and a triangle of yellow at the bottom, as my personality "color" is yellow, (red is my favorite, hence the flame), and completing the picture we have a wave of blue, as I have blue eyes (like the swirl for my eye?), and I love to swim and the ocean, and some video games in the bottom right corner. So, what do you think? Does it look like me?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow!!!! It's fantastic on all levels: yes, the profile looks like you; I like the textures and love the doodles...love, Mom

Kris said...

Yes, it does look like you. I think that you did a great job with the picture. I too don't like to do abstract art. I'm more a realist. Great job!

JanB said...

It photographs very well.
I feel so privleged to have actually held it in my hands and experienced the textures for myself.
It rocked!
You rock!

Heather Mae the DIY Gal said...

Oh my gosh! That is awesome! You totally need to submit this idea to a scrapbook magazine.

They are always looking for ideas to do craft/paper/picture/art ideas without neccessarily having photos and a story to go with it.

Thanks for a great future scrap idea for me!

Totally submit it as an idea: creatingkeepsakes.com